Friday 8 May 2009

Yay, yet another running blog

So then. Inspired, in the loosest sense of the word, by Jog Blog, and the rest, often funny posts on life, running, and sundry livestock, I have decided to blog about my feeble attempts at moving faster than walking pace for any significant distance.

I suppose, as seems to be the way of these things, I ought to tell anyone who stumbles across this a little bit about myself. I am 32, I'm definitely out of shape, which is a major reason for starting running. I smoke too much, and really ought to get around to stopping. Other things I enjoy are Whitewater Kayaking, which I don't get to do enough of, cycling, reading, and music (lots of it, and a strange and eclectic selection, apparently).
I work on a farm in sunny Cornwall, as a software developer (yeah go figure).

I was thinking about starting running anyway, but sat watching the London Marathon this time round I thought "I actually want to do that someday, as being a programmer for a small software company just isn't bringing enough pain and suffering into my life". Then thinks I "how about next year?", then I went down the pub.

Now, in what I suspect may well become a bit of a recurring theme here, provided I remember to update this, after a bevvy or two I suggest to my mate Si that we enter nexxt year's London Marathon, and get "Yeah, that's a really good idea, it'll give me a reason to get fit and lose some weight, enter me as well", or words to that effect, as a response. So I do.

A pair a shiny new trainers, and what looks like a useful book, later and I am nearly ready to start reminding myself why I have never liked running much.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, glad I inspired you. At least, I think that's what you said, I wasn't sure if it was a compliment or not!

    Good luck with your running and if you want to stop smoking, try the Allen Carr book if you haven't read it already. I read it three years ago and haven't smoked since.

    Please keep updating your blog, as I've added you to my blog roll and I will look stupid having a link to a blog with only one post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi... Good Luck with the running and the stopping smoking. I think the 2 go hand in hand. Like JogBlog, I stopped smoking and started running after reading the Allen Carr book - not sure how much the book had to do with it but giving up is definitely easier than you imagine it's going to be. And it tends to cut down the amount of time you feel wretched whilst running too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments peeps. I'll definitely try and keep the blog updated.

    If you are really lucky I might even remember my camera and get some pics of the lambs I had to bottle feed today. Quite where that fits into the job description I don't know. Probably about the same plave that catching chickens and herding piglets does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooooooooooh, can you take a photo of some piglets? I have lots of lamb and sheep pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The piglets aren't at the farm anymore, they now live at Crealy Adventure Park. I do have some pics of some of the last bunch of piglets on the computer at home, I'll try and dig them out.

    ReplyDelete