Sunday 7 June 2009

Bicycling to Afghanistan

Not really, just out to Idless Woods. That is the view across the valley, just outside of town. It is a bit overcast and drizzly at times, but fairly pleasant. I cut the ride a bit short, unfortunately, as I obviously need to do a bit of fettling with the gears and things, as it has been a couple of months since I have been using the bike much*.

A few mysteries. Why is it that the more expensive a bike is the more fettling you do to keep it all running smoothly? Not that I mind, I quite like building and fettling bikes. How come, since I last got out on my bike, my saddle has changed from being a lovely comfy perch to being a granite shouldered baroque instrument of torture? Most importantly, where did all that blood on my pedal come from? I found out the answer to that one after, in the shower, I had scraped the back of my calf on something.

Gratifyingly enough I have obviously made some fitness gains, as I was able to keep my speed up nicely, and some of the hills weren't too much trouble. Using some different leg muscles from the ones you use for running was good too. They are a little out of condition though, I obviously need to do some more cycling.

Shocking news I heard on the Beeb's sunday morning cooking program, Jaffa Cakes don't count as one of your 5-a-day! Does this mean Apple Turnovers don't count either?

Another piccie, I keep my camera on the strap of my backpack, so I tend to take a few photos when I go out cycling. This is the hill up to my place, and it is steeper than it looks.


*Work, life and indolence kept getting in the way.

Juneathon stats - day 7
Cycling: 5 miles (30 stoppy starty minutes)

1 comment:

  1. Jaffa cakes are always objects of dispute. I like it that the cake/biscuit debate had to be settled in court

    ReplyDelete