Wednesday 24 June 2009

Walk on the wild side

It was a lovely day today, so when I finished work I decided to walk home, instead of getting the bus. This is actually a really nice walk, most of the way, even if I did have to tresspass on someone's drive. They had big signs saying not a public highway etc etc. However I reckon that if you have a drive that is at least three quarters of a mile long, and links up so perfectly between where I am and where I want to be, you can't really complain, especially as it links up with a footpath.

It was nice walking through the fields, with all the butterflys about, and random nervy dogs with brown eyebrows coming over to say hello. Then I got to Playing Place, and got an icecream from the spar shop. Then is was the loooong hill down past a primary school. This is the biggest pain when I cycle into work, as it is fairly steep, and is a mile and a half long (I have measured it), but it isn't so bad walking down, and great fun going down on a bike.

The last hill I had to get up before I got to town was really nasty, and was the only bit where there wasn't a nice cooling breeze. Got overtaken by a guy in a pickup, who took a suspiciously short stop in a layby halfway up. I suspect a sneaky line before getting home, but I may just have a suspicious mind.

Took my life in my hands crossing the dual carriageway, then down the street to home, and realised I didn't have my camera handy to take a pic of the fibreglass cow at the top of the road. I'll have to remember to take a picture before it, inevitably, gets some drunk bods deciding to go cow tipping on friday night.

Will do some pressups and situps later, if I get round to it.

Juneathon stats - day 24
walking: 4.5 miles (in 70 minutes)

4 comments:

  1. Get those press ups going! 100 by the end of July? Check out our Julyathon challenge: http://runningbetty.com/pushing-the-limits-709

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello James,

    Well done on Juneathon!

    I work for Oxfam. We currently have places for the famous Great North Run, beautiful Royal Parks Half Marathon and unique Run to the Beat Event.

    At Oxfam we treat our runners like the heroes they are. We support you every step of the way and cheer you over the finishing line.

    What’s more, run with Oxfam and know your footsteps are echoing around the world, helping passionate, determined people like yourself.

    Determination is everything. Run for Oxfam.

    Would you consider putting a link to our site on your blog? We would be very grateful!

    Here is the html code for adding a link:

    Open in same window:

    Run the Royal Parks Half Marathon for Oxfam

    Run in Run to the Beat for Oxfam

    Run in the Great North Run for Oxfam

    Thank you!

    Hannah and the Oxfam Running Team
    Oxfam – official charity for the London Marathon 2011
    The Edinburgh Marathon festival 2011 is in association with Oxfam

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been a great journey.

    ReplyDelete